Monday, February 11, 2013

Life in Vacouver

I'm going to jump right into this post for Our World Tuesday, as I search for a new blogging routine that will keep posts shorter but perhaps, a bit more regular.  This one jumps around quite a bit.  It begins with two horses met during a walk along Sunset Beach.  They were ridden by members of the Vancouver Police Department Mounted Unit.  I had my big lens on the camera, so could barely fit one beautiful face per shot into the frame.
The two young police officers were really friendly (and patient!) while I backed up as far as I dared.  Black Jack, bless her heart, sat quietly at my feet although I could feel her heart quivering.  She has become much better behaved with horses now that she's met a few.
We continued to Stanley Park, where Black Jack's heart quickened again.  
The squirrel decided not to hang around, much to her disappointment.
My first cherry blossom sighting of the year is officially recorded here.  To be honest, the blooms looked a bit tired, and my photograph will not win the cherry blossom "best photo" award but the Spring message was appreciated.
We walked around Beaver Lake, a somewhat new haunt that is becoming a favourite.  I hope Black Jack's heart is strong, because I do not exaggerate when I say that meeting this critter sent her heart vibrations through the leash and right into my hand.  She again sat quietly, perhaps frozen with the shock of finding herself barely a foot away from this bold little critter.
There was a lady on the park bench and i soon realized why there were birds and critters on pretty well every tree branch and all around our feet as well.  

From Italy, but a resident of Vancouver for many years, the lady told me she still finds it a bit difficult to strike up the easy friendships she enjoyed in her home country. She didn't complain about Vancouverites, but she told me she goes every afternoon to sit with the birds and critters to get her "I'm accepted here" fix.  We talked for quite a while and I came away thinking we need to strike up conversations with strangers more often.  

I think it was the same day that Bill and I walked along the seawall after supper.  This scene faces the Granville Bridge.  I have taken it in a thousand different ways (I feel sure), but on that evening, the blue hues seemed especially prominent.  I do love blue.

This little tree is a remnant, i guess, of Christmas.  Last year, I noticed it too.  In fact, I'm sure an older picture of  it sits somewhere in my iphoto events.  Perhaps it is becoming a tradition.  
This is a family friendly blog but some of you may want to skip the next four photos.  Several posts lately have talked about the sights along Davie Street, but I haven't yet mentioned this store that I pass almost daily.  To be honest, I'm a bit embarrassed to look in the window and didn't even know the name of the store.  From the letters "ouch" shown in this photo, I went to a list of Davie Street shops, and sure enough, discovered "Love's Touch."
I thought it might be fun to ask Bill to pose in front of it, 
and he agreed, but only if i did as well.
As you can tell, I could barely stop giggling.  The test will be to see if, one day, we gather the courage to explore the store a bit more thoroughly :)

Next door to the store was this colourful display, set up, I think, in honour of the Year of the Snake.  I posted yesterday on Facebook with some photos of the only snakes I have ever come across.  You can see them here.  For anyone who missed that post, I do wish all a very happy and healthy Lunar Year 4711.
We continued along Davie where the sound of a rock band caught our attention.  It was coming from an unlikely place (to our minds).  Goorin Bros. Hat Shop was really humming.  Well, humming may not be the best word choice.  Let's just say, my ears hummed after taking just one quick photo from inside the doors.  Then, I had to run for cover :)  Loved the energy, though!  

Standing outside the door, I tried to get a shot that included the shop sign and at least one of the musicians through the window.  Bill was doing his best to help me..
when I heard a familiar voice say, "Ms. Carson!"  This is Shervin, an ex-student.  He took my literature class, Canadian Studies class, and several music classes.  We got to know each other pretty well, as he was a committed student and an excellent clarinet player.  It was wonderful to hear that he is now in university and also doing some modelling for a fitness magazine.  As happy as I was to see him, the thought did cross my mind that it was fortunate we were in front of a hat store and not posing in front of Love's Touch when we met up :)
That is just about it for today.  There's lots more, like another wonderful jazz concert at St. Andrew's Wesley Church..

and a lot of laughter during some lively conversations with Yvonne/Yvan E.J. Arnold..  but perhaps, I'll leave that for tomorrow's post.  
When I moved to Vancouver, I was told that I would miss Montreal and find Vancouver boring.  Well, I do still love Montreal, but no..  Vancouver is not at all boring.  There is an enormous variety of culture, beauty and life here, and it has been my pleasure to share some of that with you today.  For other stories from around the world, perhaps you will find a little time to check out the amazing Our World Tuesday blog meme. 



18 comments:

  1. i love that woman who feeds the birds and squirrels! i so understand the culture shock/shift. when i moved from wisconsin to texas so many years ago, i never thought i'd find true friends. as it is, you miss your foundation - always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic variety of photography ~ all very beautiful and fun ~ Favorite are the horses!

    Carol of (A Creative Harbor) on blogger ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos and a terrific variety indeed!! I do love the birds and squirrels!! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun post! Love the pictures posing with the Valentine apparel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you take your dogs to Beaver Lake without a leash? Just wondering as we just got a new puppy and would love to go for a walk down there...it's been years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun set of shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of fun photos in your collection this week. I think Bill was very brave to pose in front of that shop window. What will you make him do next week I wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun post and photos. I love the horses. And I would love to watch the lady feeding the birds. It was also fun to peek in all the stores. I see one shop is probably popular on Valentines Day. Thanks for sharing, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a fun post filled with great images. I love the horses and I love your tree reflection. I love them all!

    This looks like a marvelous place to live!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many beautiful pictures! The windows on the church are stunning, and I love all the pictures of the animals, especially the horses. They are such majestic creatures.

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are so many wonderful creatures in your post and thanks for the cherry blossoms, I haven't seen any yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Valentine’s Day to you Carol, Bill and Black Jack! The little bird feeling safe enough to take a meal from a human hand is an especially heartwarming capture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the Vancouver walk! I miss Vancouver walks ... and cherry blossoms in February! We're still buried in snow here, although it's been hovering just at or above freezing. I've been a bad blogger lately, both at posting and reading, and am trying to get more regular too. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen a black squirrel!! That's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I missed this one! So much to do, so little time! lol
    Always good to join you three on your walks in Vancouver.
    BlackJack is getting used to pretty well everything by now I suspect....good that she was calmer with the horses.
    It must have been a treat to meet up with your ex-student Carol. I always like it when they recognize and remember me too.
    I think every city has its charms and you and Bill have found some 'very interesting' places indeed! Living on the 'wild' side I see!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know Yvan Arnold, and he is one of the funniest, wackiest characters I've ever met. When you meet him, the first thing he says is, "I'm a Lady!", and that's why we call him, "The LadyMan.":)

    ReplyDelete