Saturday, February 2, 2013

Every Inchie Monday (on Saturday) "Hut"

This is my contribution for Every Inchie Monday.  It is again very late!  But, again, I have found satisfaction in its completion.  Having never taken an art course, and having also believed I was completely talentless in that field, I think my goal was just to learn a little about drawing.  To be honest, i don't know if I will make much progress.  I used an internet site with a video that took me step by step through the drawing.  I had to play the video many times.  You may want to check out the link just to hear the instructor's voice.  It annoyed me a lot at first (swallowed balloon air?) but I came to rather like it after a while.  i wonder if that silly voice is a strategy to relax stressed-out "artists" wondering if they will ever get it right.  The result you see below was my second attempt.  Still, my hut is leaning a little bit to the left and back :)  I understand now how important the initial lines are in coming up with a realistic image.  If I were to hide this picture and the video, I think my end result would have very little resemblance to a hut.  There is a long way to go, but even a few weeks ago, I couldn't have imagined this little hut that is now making me quite happy :)
I have an inch square piece of cardboard that I cut out.  I trace around it for each new image and that becomes my 1-inch frame.  When I take the photograph of it, I get as close as my camera will allow, and then crop (tightly for the image above), with a bit more border for the one below... 

and with a much larger frame in this last shot so we feel the "inchie" effect more.  I think I wonder about the photography process almost as much as the drawing process. 

Thanks for sharing in my learn-to-draw process.  For many more ideas about how to create a "hut" theme in a 1-inch square space, do check out the Every Inchie Monday link.  You can also click on the flickr link at the right of my page to see everyone's interpretations of the weekly theme.  Oh..  and "ruin" is the theme for this Monday (just two days away).  Perhaps, you would like to join the meme.  If you have the time, it will give you a weekly adventure in creativity.

9 comments:

  1. it is really cute. smart to have the 'box' cut to give you the tiny space every time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check that meme out. I thought your drawing was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific drawing of a hut. I just love the way you do your inchies on a larger paper with the square.

    Love Chrissie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hut drawing is fantastic! I think you are a very talented artist. It is a great idea to do the inchie on larger paper. I may have to borrow that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hut is lovely! Reminds me of pictures I've seen of Southeast Asian dwellings...very Robinson Crusoey!
    Nice job, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing wrong with your drawing, it's lovely. Jim is right it does look like an Asian dwelling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way your hut leans just a little! Would not have noticed but that you pointed it out, I think that is just what adds to the charm of this beautiful little sketch. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this one, you did a great job, lots of detail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi , thanks so much for visiting and your comment. you have meme? then i need to checked out . the drawing awesome, like Indonesian hut;).
    just followed you hope you too;)
    have a good day

    ReplyDelete