Saturday, October 3, 2009

Interactions

The sun is shining and I'm blogging. As much as a couple of days of rain were okay, maybe even a bit better than okay, I want to get out and enjoy a beautiful day while I can. So, I will try to be brief (not my strongest asset:)

Last night, after an exhausting work week, I stopped by the lookout in North Van. No ospreys, and no eagles, but the seals were out in full numbers. This one, I believe, is "my" seal, the one with a cloudy left eye and compelling personality. It looked up at the seagull, in a half friendly, half curious sort of way.
Here, it soaks up the evening light as it prepares to lie back down.
A lady joined me at the lookout. She told me her name was Lynne. We talked about the seals and the ospreys and I gave her my blog address. She tried to count the seals. I liked this one at the front left, for its complete contentment.
Lynne decided it was impossible to count this gathering. I was told by a photographer that the most she has been able to count are 42 seals. I would guess all of them were in the area last evening.
I didn't linger. Bill and I had plans to watch two more episodes of "The Duchess of Duke Street" and I was looking forward to that. I am so happy that our friends, Kitty and Jock, recommended that series. Before I left, Lynne gave me this rose, picked, I think, from some nearby bushes. I wondered where to put it for its journey from North Vancouver to Point Grey, and she suggested in my v-neck top. "It will stay moist there, " she said, and you may even be able to smell it as you cycle." Well, she was right, and I smiled several times as the aroma wafted upward. It has faded this morning, but the memory of a lovely interaction has not.
When I arrived home, Bill had already fed and walked Black Jack, but we headed out for another walk, just so I could check out the beautiful evening light with my camera. In fact, the light was dying, but the skyline still had a glow on it.
It always makes me smile when Black Jack accepts as her due that Bill should transport her to views otherwise unaccessible. Last night, he referred to himself as, "Mr. Elevator Man."
There was a photographer taking pictures through the small openings in the fence, some of them cross shaped. He was getting beautiful results. I tried to do the same thing and wasn't at all successful. I did take a couple of leaves in the grass. I had never seen a black leaf before. Anyone able to tell me about black leaves?
Jocelyn lives in my building, and every morning, she takes her dog Philip, and cat, Charlotte, to the courtyard, where they seem to have a wonderful time exploring every nook and cranny. This is Philip. He was adopted at approximately 12 years of age and has been with Jocelyn for a year or so. Bless you, Jocelyn!And Charlotte! Black Jack always knows when she's around, and insists on access to the balcony so she can observe her antics.
Poor Black Jack. She quivers and yips a bit, but has mostly learned that all she can really do is observe. She does enjoy her visits with Jocelyn, as do I.
Charlotte comes when she is called, and is an absolutely fascinatingly beautiful cat. Here, she took a short trip up the tree to look around.
No "Mr. Elevator Man" required.
She turns..
..and heads back down.
Fun interactions to start what looks to be a beautiful weekend. Hope you enjoy it! Special thoughts to a blogger friend, Al, who I believe is in Manila! She survived the first typhoon (Ketsana) to hit the Philippines, and rescued a lost puppy (Bless you, Al!). I'm hoping the second typhoon (Parma) missed her completely. Let us know, Al, if you can.

4 comments:

  1. Charlotte is a beautiful cat and your photographs of her in the tree bring out even more of her beauty.

    As for the Duchess of Duke Street, see also this article about the real duchess, Rosa Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "your seal" needs a name! "Sherman"?

    I like the one tall, still sun-lit building, towering over the other , more subtly lit ones.

    I second the comment about how graceful and full of beauty Charlotte is in the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carol, thank for dropping by my blog. Yes the dog belongs to a boy, whose house is still under water. He asked me if I could let the dog stay with us for the moment and he will get it as soon as the water subsided in their house. I am tired of sweeping all the mud around the garden but I am so happy now that the typhoons are gone. Hope that's the last one.

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol, thank for dropping by my blog. Yes the dog belongs to a boy, whose house is still under water. He asked me if I could let the dog stay with us for the moment and he will get it as soon as the water subsided in their house. I am tired of sweeping all the mud around the garden but I am so happy now that the typhoons are gone. Hope that's the last one.

    AL

    ReplyDelete