Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wondering and Waiting

On Saturday, I posted about the rabbits at Jericho Park.  That evening, I read a post in Carol's blog over at Saints.  It made the uneasiness I was trying to suppress, in the interest, perhaps of not being negative, come to the surface.  How did those rabbits come to be there and what is their quality of life?  Years ago, when I used to go there with Scott (last dog), someone told me a lady in the area buys up all the pet store rabbits, and releases them in the park, thinking she's giving them a good life.  That person said many of the rabbits are caught by owls or coyotes.  I have no idea if that was a true story.  I did feel on Saturday that the rabbits seemed strangely relaxed and secure.  With the exception of the white one, most came right out in the open, and showed no concern about Black Jack (who was quiet and on a short, short leash whenever rabbits showed up).  I was also surprised there were no large dogs on the hunt.  One lady said dogs don't go into those thickets because of the thorns.  (Hm..  maybe bramble-type bushes are good for something, after all:)  Does someone feed the rabbits?  How did they manage in the winter?  Should I be thinking about trying to rescue them?  Lots of questions. 

And waiting.  Yesterday, my hand cast came off.  A good thing, although, as with the only other cast I've ever had, sobering to see how quickly muscles, even finger ones, and even in just over three weeks, atrophy when not used.  But waiting.  I waited in a traffic jam on the Burrard Bridge (as I watched cyclists speed on by), I waited to register at the hospital, I waited for someone to take the cast off, I waited for the x-ray, I waited to see the hand assistant doctor followed by the hand expert doctor, and I waited to see the hand therapist.  Each wait required a "take-a-number" procedure.  I tried to think what Ruby Isabella would have thought about all that waiting, but mostly, I worried I would be late for school (I was, by about 15 minutes, but life went on, with no earth-shattering consequences).  Through all the waiting, at a hospital that appears to be old and over-stretched in its capacity to serve its patients, I was struck by the kindness of everyone who had a hand:) in taking care of me.  There was real concern, I felt, to make sure I would be able to do the musical work required by my job.  And, one doc even reminded me to work on strength for braking on the bike - good people, and I left (to wait for the bus to North Van), reminding myself just how fortunate I am.  We live in a good place, and waiting, with time to enjoy my book, and knowledge that my hand will work better in the long run, isn't so terrible after all.

2 comments:

  1. In our disposable world, so many people think animals are also disposable. They buy a cute little bunny for Easter, then toss it out when they get tired of it. Even though most people would never think it okay to turn a domestic dog loose in the forest and expect it to survive like its coyote kin, people constantly think domestic bunnies somehow still have those survival skills. And of course, irresponsible owners seldom spay/neuter before turning the rabbits loose. It is a sad commentary on our anthropocentric attitude, our attitude of "we are better than all living things and we have the right to do whatever we want with/to other living things". Isn't that what environmental destruction is all about?
    Okay, off the soap box now!!!!

    I'm so glad your cast is off, and I'm sure you will be well-motivated to re-develop those brake-squeezing hands! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jean, I well understand your frustration with people who buy pets without thinking it through, and ditch them when they become inconvenient. I think, if the story I was told is true, that this is a little bit different. Someone goes to the pet store and buys up the rabbits before they can be sold as pets, with the specific intention of setting them loose at Jericho. I feel it's not a great idea, but wonder, now that they're there, whether someone should be looking out for them, maybe even getting them into rescues. Maybe there are people already looking into this. But again, these rabbits appeared to be well fed and more or less content, from what I could tell. I would think they're vulnerable, though, if not to owls, as I was told, then certainly to coyotes. (Thanks for commenting on this.)

    Yes, it's lovely to have the cast off. My hand is getting stronger each day.

    ReplyDelete