Monday, November 10, 2008

A conversation yesterday

Just a few pictures from yesterday, taken around the school property. Thoughts on the futility of war are overwhelming for the moment, and roam all the more restlessly in my mind, after watching an aged veteran, at our school assembly yesterday, become tearful over and over again, as he recounted his experiences as a pilot in WW11. After the ceremony, Jean's comment inspired an emotional conversation with one of the teachers at my school. (Thank you, Jean, for taking time to respond.) I couldn't seem to articulate a response to his feeling that pacifists (a term I admittedly haven't fully thought out, but believe I would apply to myself) hold a simplistic view. He went on to say that war is a more complicated issue than we, with little world experience, can appreciate. He is much younger, but also far more traveled than I. I respect him highly, but my gut was saying, "No, we perceive it as complicated, but the issues are simple. Choose to kill, or find another way." That begs the question, "What way?" and the reminder that humans have fought over land and religion since the beginning of time. What makes me think it is possible for that to change now? "Well," I fumbled awkwardly, "humans are evolving as a species, and surely, that evolution will bring us to the point of finding more intelligent solutions to conflict." Another teacher joined in the conversation, to say that we must come to the brink of possible extinction, before that will happen. Just as, with the knowledge of the power of the atomic bomb, WW11 did finally come to an end. He added that he holds the same theory for environmental destruction, and that, while some of us may think we are on the brink right now, it in reality has to get much worse before we come to our senses. Last night, talking with Bill, he reminded me that the percentage of deaths, if one looks over a complete history of war, has gone down. I guess that must be encouraging, but one starstruck being, headed to war in the belief he (or she) will make a difference, and blown to bits before he can find his way in the world, is one too many. The turmoil of my thoughts, as I clumsily tried to respond to that teacher, was finally too much. I went outside with my camera, looking for tranquil images.
Strange looking berry.
Looking to the river at the side of the school.

My favorite for the day.
And another of the river.
As I was heading back into school for my next class, I noticed the drama in the sky. A mirror, perhaps, of the day's emotions.
Before heading home last night, I tried yet again to catch a sharper image of the geese on their way to their roost spot. No luck, and will spare you my failed attempts, but one shot of the moon to sign off. Blue and mauve are settling shades for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment