Friday, October 31, 2008

The Thinkers

Eckhart Tolle talks about quieting the inner voice, and sometimes, I think I've come a fair distance with that, but it's not letting me go to sleep yet, so I'll try to put some thoughts down here. These pictures are from the book, Jane Goodall: 40 Years at Gombe. I bought it tonight after her talk.
This is Frodo. His grandmother was Flo and his mother was Fifi. I don't know what he's thinking about, but his expression makes me want to ease his burden.
So, what am I thinking?

First, thank you, Dr. Jane Goodall. One of your books says of you: "The woman who redefined man." That was huge. But it's your honesty, your caring, and your willingness to walk the talk that leave me grateful.

Second, thank you Cate, who stood beside me in the line-up. You let me vent about the lady who sat behind us, with her camera beeping through most of the talk. Your lively warmth made the line-up fun.

Third, I was so angry at that camera lady that my heart pounded and my legs shook. I thought horrible thoughts. I see that I haven't come so very far at all.

And.. Thank you, Bill. My guess is that the audience was about 80% women. You quite often have to explain to me, "It's a guy thing," but you recognize and support my passions, and I know I'm blessed.

Finally, the ride home in the rain was good. It calmed me enough to acknowledge the voice and laugh at it a little.

Oh.. and I almost forgot. Happy Halloween, everyone! Check out IAMNEVILLE (in my blog list). He's a super talented photographer and he loves this season.

4 comments:

  1. I am so envious. One of the disadvantages of living in the country is the lack of opportunities to attend events like this.
    On the other hand....at least my critters don't annoy me with camera beeps when I am concentrating on something [though their barks and farts can sometimes get annoying :)] and there's no line ups, and I just have to step outside my back door to see wildlife.
    I love that first picture - who is the photographer?
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean: Yes, that book has particularly beautiful photographs(although some devastatingly sad) . The two that I posted are both by Michael Nichols.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the beeping camera -- that is just rude and disrespectful. I hope nobody's cell phone went off.

    Hope you enjoyed the talk, at least. That first picture really does seem to capture the spirit of the lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no cell phones, and I did enjoy the talk in retrospect. The beeps I could live with, but I was upset for the disrespect shown to Jane Goodall. But the spirit of the lady, as you say, was such that I finally realized she was getting on with her talk, while I was obsessing. Best to let people express their own annoyance, if indeed they are bothered by something. Good lesson for me.

    ReplyDelete