Sunday, October 19, 2008

Scenes on Saturday

Sometimes, the beauty around me leaves a lump in my throat. I'm not sure if keeping this blog has made me hyper-sensitive, but I could have stood for hours at some of these scenes. Bill was very patient about the stand still time, but Black Jack less so. Looking at the pictures is in one sense even better, since there is no traffic noise in the background to remind me we are still in the city. Of the cities I've known (not all that many), though, Vancouver is the greenest and ten years here have not lessened my appreciation for that.

At Bridgeman












Looking down Hemlock from 7th, on the way home.

Almost home. Looking from the top of Point Grey Hill


2 comments:

  1. Don't you feel like we're the luckiest folks around? My family back east has never understood why I moved out here, but I that the natural world doesn't affect them the way it affects me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A definite YES in answer to your question. Interesting about family. My mother (no longer living) grew up in Newfoundland, and lived for six months of every year on her father's fishing boat, on the Labrador Coast. One doesn't get much more natural world than that. Perhaps, if steeped in nature as a child, one becomes indifferent? Or in her case, perhaps even resentful/fearful, since she lost a brother and a cousin to the ocean. And certainly, her life was very tough, having to cook for the crew, and never being able to complete as much schooling as she would have liked. I don't know. When she visited me in Vancouver, we walked in Stanley Park, and I was shocked to hear her say, "It's quite an ugly place, isn't it?" She also said, as we walked down Cypress Street, "I don't like trees." She was a strong and amazing woman, but probably never understood my move here either. That said, I knew great beauty in the East as well. Just different here. I felt from my first day in Vancouver that I had arrived home.

    ReplyDelete